dual lan openbrick?
Przemyslaw Brojewski
2004-04-27 12:12:33 UTC
Hello everybody,

Is there some place (preferably in Europe) where I could buy openbrick
with dual LAN on board? Storever claims to have it, but their site is
somewhat unreadable in this respect. I.e. I'm not sure.

For the time being I've ordered OpenBrick NG, as it can serve me as a
desktop as well, but this means that in few months I will need something
else to protect my father's machine from the wild world. "Plain old"
openbrick would be ideal if it had dual LAN option. Can someone
provide me with pointers?

The archives mention dual LAN openbrick only once in 2002. Looks like
that idea is dead. Or is it?

Przemek Brojewski.
Jim Fridlund
2004-04-27 17:56:13 UTC
Post by Przemyslaw Brojewski
Hello everybody,
Is there some place (preferably in Europe) where I
could buy openbrick
with dual LAN on board? Storever claims to have it,
but their site is
somewhat unreadable in this respect. I.e. I'm not
sure.
My OB only has one built-in 10/100 ethernet. I had
to get a PCMCIA based ethernet for the 2nd port.
Post by Przemyslaw Brojewski
For the time being I've ordered OpenBrick NG, as it
can serve me as a
desktop as well, but this means that in few months I
will need something
else to protect my father's machine from the wild
world. "Plain old"
openbrick would be ideal if it had dual LAN option.
Can someone
provide me with pointers?
It would be cheaper to buy a router < $100 US. You
can get the Linksys WRT54G. If you want to hack on
it, you can also get the tools/compilers and code
from Linksys.
--
Jim

Randall Dow
2004-04-28 15:57:15 UTC
Hi - another simple solution, which I have used for a couple
of years (until last weekend, when I replaced it with a
NetGear wireless router/switch), is to use an inexpensive
USB to Ethernet adapter. They're cheap, simple, work, and
are supported by *BSD and Linux.

Randall Dow http://www.randix.net
Jean-Paul Smets
2004-04-29 10:39:48 UTC
Post by Randall Dow
Hi - another simple solution, which I have used for a couple
of years (until last weekend, when I replaced it with a
NetGear wireless router/switch), is to use an inexpensive
USB to Ethernet adapter. They're cheap, simple, work, and
are supported by *BSD and Linux.
This is what we do too. (we use SMC USB Ethernet Adapter)

JPS.
Post by Randall Dow
--
Randall Dow http://www.randix.net
Olaf Gellert
2004-04-28 18:47:21 UTC
Post by Przemyslaw Brojewski
Hello everybody,
Is there some place (preferably in Europe) where I could buy openbrick
with dual LAN on board? Storever claims to have it, but their site is
somewhat unreadable in this respect. I.e. I'm not sure.
Having a look at http://www.en.storever.com/product/openbrick/openbrick-ng
I see this:

- dual Ethernet RJ45

some lines below:

- dual network adapter

And the image of the backside of the Openbrick NG seems
to have two RJ45 (just above the 4 USB ports).

Cheers,
Olaf
--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert PRESECURE (R)
Consultant, Consulting GmbH
Phone: (+49) 0700 / PRESECURE og at pre-secure.de

A daily view on Internet Attacks
https://www.ecsirt.net/sensornet
Jim Fridlund
2004-04-29 03:16:45 UTC
Post by Randall Dow
Hi - another simple solution, which I have used for
a couple
of years (until last weekend, when I replaced it
with a
NetGear wireless router/switch), is to use an
inexpensive
USB to Ethernet adapter. They're cheap, simple,
work, and
are supported by *BSD and Linux.
--
Randall Dow http://www.randix.net
Yep, I agree. USB ethernet solution is a cheap
alternative. However, if you want fast packet
processing or have real time requirements, I
would avoid USB 1.x.
--
Jim

Jim Fridlund
2004-04-29 03:22:52 UTC
I wasn't aware of the NG... Very nice box, indeed!
I'm drooling here! ;-)
--
Jim

Przemyslaw Brojewski
2004-04-29 11:56:37 UTC
Hi there again,

I've made up my mind on linksys WRT54G as it is available
in the shop next door, reasonably priced and fits my requirements.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I learned quite a bit
last two days.

Przemek Brojewski.