OpenBrick NG, USB hard drive and Debian Sarge
Jerome BENOIT
2004-09-27 10:58:30 UTC
Hello List,

since a while I have tried to run Sarge on my openbrick
with an external USB hard drive.

First, I installed an internal ide2 hard drive inside the box:
everything was working well. Now I am trying to migrate
to a USB external hard drive:
right now the main issue is that the initrd stuff does not succeed to
mount the root directory during the pivot_root stage.
Any idea ?
Any success story with Debian ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome
Jerome BENOIT
2004-10-01 16:50:49 UTC
Hello List,

I succeeded by using busybox and imposing a little pause (sleep 7) just
before the pivot stage.

Thanks,
Jerome
Bao C. Ha
2004-10-01 19:52:10 UTC
Hi Jerome,

Yes, I have tried it successfully with Debian Sarge. There may be
other problems. I build my own kernel because I want to use
the squashfs and mini_fo stuff. What are the errors you are
seeing?

Bao
Post by Jerome BENOIT
Hello List,
since a while I have tried to run Sarge on my openbrick
with an external USB hard drive.
everything was working well. Now I am trying to migrate
right now the main issue is that the initrd stuff does not succeed to
mount the root directory during the pivot_root stage.
Any idea ?
Any success story with Debian ?
Thanks in advance,
Jerome
Best Regards.
Bao C. Ha
Hacom OpenBrick Distributor USA http://www.hacom.net
voice: (714) 530-8817 fax: (714) 530-8818
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD 42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38
Jerome BENOIT
2004-10-01 22:45:00 UTC
Hi Bao,

finally I succeded too:
I posted this emails a few days ago.

It appears that when /etc/mkinitrd/mkinird.conf is configured with

BUSYBOX=

and

DELAY=5

it works well with (configured) 2.6.8 kernel.

I did not try with the distributed kernel.

By the way is there somewhere an apropriate kernel .config
file ?

Thanks,
Jerome
Bao C. Ha
2004-10-01 23:29:44 UTC
Hi Jerome,

Yes. I also use the same mkinitrd configuration.

BUSYBOX=no
DELAY=5

I think busybox has not kept up with the module loading in kernel
2.6.x. And delay is needed because of the USB subsystem needing
additional time to become stable.

I have tried both the stock kernels, 2.6.7-1-386 and 2.6.8-1-386,
without any problems. So, the standard Debian kernel configuration
should be fine.

However, I have found that there are few USB 2.0 devices out
there, specifically the Memory 256MB Thumb drive, are having
problems booting up from the NG, but not from other VIA CLE266-
based system.

Thanks.
Bao
Hi Bao,
Jean-Paul Smets
2004-10-03 15:08:07 UTC
Post by Jerome BENOIT
Hello List,
since a while I have tried to run Sarge on my openbrick
with an external USB hard drive.
everything was working well. Now I am trying to migrate
right now the main issue is that the initrd stuff does not succeed to
mount the root directory during the pivot_root stage.
Any idea ?
Any success story with Debian ?
I suggest you have a look to our umibuilder script which does all the job

http://www.nexedi.org/workspaces/project/umigumi/introduction_to_umib/view
Post by Jerome BENOIT
Thanks in advance,
Jerome